MELT – MANDATORY ENTRY LEVEL TRAINING
As of October 18, 2021 – any drivers going for the Class 1 Road Test in BC must undergo an extensive training program that requires a minimum of 140 hours of instruction and training.
Mandatory Entry Level Training will enable drivers to be more skilled and drive safer while driving.
Prerequisites for the course
- 18 years of age or older
- Hold a full class 5 license no GDL
- Class 1 Medical Certificate
What is included in the Big Rig MELT course?
- Up to 60 hours of private driving instruction in a truck.
- Up to 50 hours in the classroom including the air brake course.
- Up to 25 hours in yard training.
- Up to 5 hours in the truck, for course review.
How long is the course?
- On average, the course can 7 weeks.
How much does the course cost?
- $14000 + $300 for books
Are there any funding options available?
Several government programs exist to assist with these training costs, and to support new Class 1 drivers entering the trucking industry. Click through to learn more about each: